Cottage cheese is a mild flavour type of cheese often recommended as part of a healthy diet due to its;
- Very low in calories.
- High in proteins.
- High in calcium.
Because of this three main point. It is widely used in weight loss plans, by athletes and people who want to lose fat and increase muscle mass.
But there is so much more to know about cottage cheese.
A number of carbs, proteins, fat, and sodium in cottage cheese varies depending on the type of milk used.
One cup of a low-fat variety of this type of cheese provides (1):
- Calories: 163.
- Protein: 28 grams.
- 70% of the calories come from proteins.
- Carbs: 6.1 grams.
- Fat: 2.3 grams.
- Phosphorus: 30% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI).
- Sodium: 30% of the RDI.
- Selenium: 29% of the RDI.
- Vitamin B12: 24% of the RDI.
- Riboflavin: 22% of the RDI.
- Calcium: 14% of the RDI.
- Folate: 7% of the RDI.
Cottage cheese and weight loss
Weight loss diets often include low-calorie and high-protein food, such as cottage cheese.
Scientific studies have shown that including high-protein foods and high-calcium foods, in addition to cottage cheese, can help to:
- Decrease body weight by an average of 2.8 kg (6.2 lbs) in women and 1.4 kg (3.1 lbs) in men (2).
- Increase feeling of fullness (3, 4, 5).
- Reduce calorie intake
- Improve weight loss, especially when combined with exercise (4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
- Reduce fat accumulation and accelerate fat loss (9).
Cottage cheese and muscle gain
A diet high in protein can help increase muscle mass, especially when is combined with resistance training (7).
Because of its high protein content, this type of cheese is a great food to build muscle mass, that is why is so popular among people who exercise and athletes.
- Casein, 80% of protein content.
- Considered to be a slowly absorbed protein.
- Is better to inhibit muscle breakdown due to its slower absorption.
- Effective at building muscle.
- Promotes absorption of the amino acid leucine.
- Increase muscle building capacity.
- Whey protein, 20% of protein content.
- Effective at building muscle.
Eating cottage cheese before bed will have a sustained release of amino acids into your blood and muscles during sleep. As a result, it may reduce muscle breakdown.
Other benefits from cottage cheese
It has also been associated with other health benefits, such as:
- Reduce insulin resistance.
- Increase bone strength.
- Increase antioxidant protection.
Incorporate cottage cheese into your diet
Its mild flavour and soft texture make it easy to include in your meals and recipes.
So here are some creative ways to include it into your diet:
- Pancakes or waffles
- Sour cream substitute
- Dipping sauces
- Ice creams
- Ice popsicles
- Baked goods
- Mayo substitute
- Scrambled eggs
For you to remember
Cottage cheese is a fresh cheese with a mild flavour and smooth texture.
Because it is very low in calories and high in proteins, calcium, phosphorus, and selenium.
There are versatile ingredients that you can incorporate into many different meals and recipes.
If you love cheese, looking to increase your muscle mass or lose weight? So cottage cheese is one of the best types of cheese you can eat.